Monday, April 16, 2012

Madison's Big Day

My mommy and daddy wanted me to to tell you all what happened to my baby sister today. I havent been able to see her but my mom tells me that her arms aren't in the cast so she will still be able to hug me when I do...This is what they are saying...

Madison's surgery went well. The "3-4 hour" surgery lasted about 5.5 but the surgeon called it "successful." Mom and Dad and Madi got to the hospital at 7 this morning with Madison going in at 8:30. For those of you that have asked for the details, here they are... The surgeon started by lengthening the tendons and ligiments through an incision in her groin and this was done without issue. The next step was to attempt to put her hip back in. He did this and found that it fit too tight and was prone to pop out easily or even potentially cut off blood supply to the bone down the road so he decided to cut/break her femur and shorten it by a centimeter or so. He placed a plate to help it grow back together. The next step was to "clean out" her hip socket as it was too shallow to case the ball. He did this and also made a cut over this joint and added bone from earlier reduction to build a cup type casing to better contain the hip ball in its joint. The other thing that he had to do was make smaller the casing that surrounds this hip/joint as Madison's had been stretched by having her hip out of joint for so long. This was done without issue. So, she ended up with 3 insisions and a major hip surgery but a good outcome and good outlook for recovery.

Mom said that Baby girl will be in a lot of pain because of all the work that they had to so she is staying at least 1 night in the hospital to ensure that they can manage this pain and likely 2 nights for monitoring.

In case you are worried about me, I'm doing just fine. Grams took me out to dinner tonight and I get to go see Madi girl in the morning. I also found out that Gram's and Grandma Joan are taking turns living with us for a while cuz Mom said that we need help. I sure am excited for that!

3 comments:

  1. Oh poor baby girl! And poor mom and dad! I will sure be praying for you all! What an ordeal!!! Love you Nik! Miss you! {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt coley is so glad that everything is going good. give her big hugs and kisses!! lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Gavin! What an amazing baby sister you have and mommy and daddy. Color her lots of pictures and give her lots of hugs from Nolan and Charlotte

    ReplyDelete